Monday, January 12, 2009

Kiss-Up

So...awhile back, my little Sophie was very naughty in her room during nap-time. Most of you know that she quit napping around 15-months. And, she rarely naps...rarely. One day it was so quiet in her room, and I knew Sophie must have just given up. I even stood by her door and listened...silence.

Well, after Lainey and Sawyer were up, I did hear the faint knocking on her door and sent Lainey up to get her while I was getting a snack ready in the kitchen. I heard Sophie crying telling Lainey, "I don't want to tell Mommy." At first, I just thought...no biggie...must have had an accident. But, what met me at the door was unmistakable. As I turned the knob, the smell of cheap cherry chapstick from third grade greeted me immediately. I didn't even have to look in the room to know it was not going to be good. At first, I just saw her bedspread...markings all over it...long lines, short lines.

"Sophie, what did you do? Is this the chapstick that Santa brought you at the Christmas party?" I had no idea she even had it in her room. AUGH!

"Yes." (a tentative smile)

"Sophie, this is NOT funny."

(smile disappears)

"What else did you do?"

As I rounded the corner of her bed I see two basketball sized circles colored-in with cherry red chapstick on her carpet. Ah-Ha! So, that's why it was so quiet during nap-time! I found the cherry chapstick tube (completely gone) and another half gone tube of another kind in the room. Needless to say, she knew she was in trouble. She was going to have to tell Daddy when he got home what she had done. And, she obviously knew what she had done was wrong. Plus, I told her she was not allowed to wear or have any lipstick for a VERY long, long, long time!

Later that day after I got out of the shower (yes...some days it is 4PM when I finally get to shower) and was getting dressed..Sophie was sitting in my room and out of the blue says.in her cutest, sweetest voice..

"Mommy, I sure do like that boobie cover you have on."

Little kiss-up. I had to take several extra seconds pulling the turtleneck over my head to stifle my laughter. How does a 3-year old know this stuff? :-)

*Just an FYI...Matt worked on scrubbing the carpet with the carpet spray and the steam cleaner. I'm happy to say that yes...cherry chapstick (and whatever other dark-colored culprit partook in the artwork) did come out of both the carpet and the bedspread.

No comments: