Friday, January 8, 2010

Christmas-Prep

So...I obviously took an extended leave from blogging. I'll try to catch up on some posts over the next several days.

Christmas seemed to come at lightning speed this year. We did our best to slow it down some and tried to do some activities that reminded us of the true reason for the Christmas Season...Christ and togetherness and focusing on others. The following are a few of our times together:

1. The kids again went through their toyroom and gave up some of their toys and books to kids that don't have as much as they do. I am always amazed that I am not met with any whining or opposition when we begin this task each year. (I don't know why I should feel amazed...maybe it's our commercialized society or that I simply don't give these little people enough credit.) It warms my heart to see their giving spirits at work!

2. We decorated the tree with Christmas CD's playing and hot cocoa. It's hard to tell in the picture, but the bottom of the tree is dragging and the front branches have multiple ornaments one in front of the other. I LOVE IT! The kids wanted to examine the ornaments and oohed and ahhed over each one.


3. We spent a wonderful snow day getting to know our new neighbor with several hours of dress-up play, making up dances and homemade playdough. (so many times that day did I smile and hold in my laughter listening to their conversations and watching them play) Here's to little girls and new friendships!!
4. The kids made snowflake ornaments with beads and pipe cleaners. The girls flew to it, but I was so surprised at Sawyer's intent concentration. No kidding, he sat and worked on his for a good 25 minutes...then wanted to work on it first thing the next morning. Dedication. I will remember them working together on their snowflakes each year I see them on our tree. I'd take these ornaments over Hallmark anytime!

Just starting...

So intent...

Lainey LOVES arts and crafts...this was right up her alley!
5. I'm room mom for Lainey's class. Sophie, Sawyer and I helped with her party at school. It's SO much fun being in a room full of excited Kindergarteners on party day!!!! I'm posting the treats I made because they were so simple, and the kids loved them. (The nose is a 'dot' candy...the "recipe" called for a Blow Pop sucker...but I thought that might be a little big.)

Lainey and Sophie working on one of the craft activities at the Kindergarten party.
6. Making Sugar Cookies...such a FUN together activity!

FROSTING and SPRINKLES...really, who needs the cookie? :)


7. Caroling at a local nursing home. The kids loved this...and so did we. We went with Matt's Knights of Columbus group through church. Sawyer gave each and every resident a hug and kiss afterwards. I remember caroling when I was young. Now, I'm watching my kids do it...and seeing the residents watch the kids...and knowing the kids start to understand the concept of helping others...nothing makes you feel better.



Whether the kids knew the songs or not...they sang their little hearts out!
8. Of course, we had Sophie's little dance performance. I did take video to post but forgot that if I turn my camera to film, everyone watching has to turn their heads sideways...so pictures will have to suffice. There's not much cuter than little Sophie in her tu-tu. :)

Boogie...Boogie

Ta Da!

No comments: