Thursday, April 8, 2010

Big Boy Bed Addendum



I forgot to add this little tidbit to the Big Boy Bed post.  We have switched out our bathroom doorknob with Sawyer's bedroom knob after this little incident.  Matt was traveling and about 3:15 in the morning I hear a tiny little 2-year-old boy voice next to my bed..."I ice keem, Mom.  Mom, I ice keem."  I struggled to open my eyes as I reached out in the darkness to rub his little head.  But, instead I felt a frosted 1/2 gallon of frozen ice cream sitting on my bed.  Hmmm...I explained to Sawyer that it was the middle of the night and he could not have ice cream, everyone was sleeping, and tucked him back into bed.  When I took the ice cream back downstairs to the freezer EVERY single light was on...I'm talking the laundry room, hallway, foyer, bathroom, etc.  I just have to wonder how long he was down there...and what else he was all doing before he had finally settled on wanting ice cream and came up to my room. 

Then, about 1 1/2 hours later, I hear that same little sweet voice beside my bed.  "Mom, I potty in pottychair.  I want new jammies."  In opening my eyes (a little quicker this time) I see a naked little boy.  Thankfully, he had taken off his PJ's and diaper and really gone potty in the pottychair.  But, he had decided he did not like the PJ's he was wearing and had taken the stepstool into his room, opened his top drawer but just couldn't quite see to choose a different pair of pajamas.  It really bothered me that he had most likely been up for 1 1/2 hours doing...well, who knows what. 

With the girls, we would put a child safety lock on the inside of their door handle.  That worked really well...and would have worked well with Sawyer too...EXCEPT his partner-in-crime (Sophie) taught him on the first day in his room with his big boy bed how to "crack" the code of the child safety lock...and I might as well not even use them now.  :)  So, our new solution was to change out the doorknob with the lock to the outside.  Would child psychologists agree with me?  Probably not.  Do I sleep better at night knowing my little boy is safe in his room...absolutely.

3 comments:

Wendi said...

Oh WOW!! I think Aldyn will stay in the crib til she's 5. But then again we don't have a little Sophie to educate her :) ha ha...

Unknown said...

Hahaha, that's hilarious! What a stinker. :)

Becky said...

That is to funny, that transition time is fun but can be a headache at the same time.