The girls enjoyed several shows (and honestly, we enjoyed them too). There was the stunt dog show...featured on Letterman and several other nationally-known shows. We saw The Pirates of the Caribbean diving show...quite impressive! And (in the air conditioning!) the traveling Moo-Man Comedy Kids show...very cute! Lainey was even picked out for the ventriloquist dummy to talk and sing to her!
Speaking of Nebraska...I mentioned it was a hot and windy day. We made our way in and out of the air conditioned buildings to give the kids a break from the heat. (We'll probably all come down with summer colds again!) But...I just had to take a picture of the pivot they had set up in the street misting people to cool them down. ONLY IN NEBRASKA! :-)
The had several 4-H buildings full of different animals. This happened to be the small animal building with roosters, chickens (one duck that we saw), and bunnies. (As you can see...Sawyer was not fond of all the cock-a-doodle-dooing that was going on.) The larger 4-H animals were the cows and horses which the girls found quite impressive. The exotic petting zoo was interesting...they got to touch a zebra, alpaca, emu (well...he didn't come close enough to touch..thank goodness!), itty-bitty baby goats, a tortoise, antelope things native to Africa (can't remember their real names), water buffalo, and lots of other animals. They saw camels (you had to pay to ride them)...but we only did the free things today. :-)
The Ag department of UNL had an animal birthing building...quite interesting. No large animals were giving birth when we entered (thankfully)...in fact, unfortunately, several of the animals had already left to go home to the farms they live on (this was the last day of the State Fair). But, we were able to see the triplet lambs born just this afternoon at 2PM. There were also twin lams born yesterday. There were piglets and calves born yesterday (but those were gone)...much to the girls disappointment. :-( As pictured above though, they did get to hold the baby chicks. They had a rotating incubator on display with chicks hatching constantly. It was really neat to see. THEN...I had to act like I enjoyed showing the girls the display of 10 plexiglass mice cages with varying stages of baby mice inside ranging from minutes to a day or two old. As I type it the visual makes my blood run cold and me want to gag. But, I showed them and explained it..then let Matt take it from there. Notice, no pictures. I think there should be a reduction of that species...not showing the production...man they have A LOT of babies in those litters too! UGH!
On our way to the car we saw the sand sculpture display...very cool...but the girls were beyond the point of being impressed. :-) (and Sawyer just wanted the rope) Oh...we also watched a man carve an amazing sculpture out of a block of cheese. (How do people think of doing these things?)
Of course we had to eat some of the food at the State Fair. If I had a metabolism of a freight train, I would have had fried pickles, fried snickers, fried cheesecake, (do you see a trend)... :-) (OK...it wasn't the metabolism...it was the fact that a small slice of fried cheesecake was $6 and a tiny fried pickle that I really wanted was $5...seriously?) Instead I had a walking taco for lunch and a potato sundae for dinner...just let your imaginations run. :-) Matt had a brat for lunch and prime rib dinner for supper, sharing a rootbeer float with the girls for dessert. We fed the girls before we got there for lunch, and they had treats of snow cones, samples of full-sized granola bars (score!), fruit snacks (score again!), then their first corn dogs for supper. I'm sure what we ate took a couple minutes off our lives (and hopefully nobody wakes up with bellyaches)...but hey, you can't go to the fair without some of the food, right?!
We walked through exhibits, and the girls made name bracelets and played on playground equipment. Matt saw on old baseball friend and his cousin and I an old highschool/college buddy. We ran into our neighbors and two of the girls' good friends down the street. The girls practiced milking a fiberglass cow and watched real honeybees busy working in their hives. At one point Lainey told me "This is the funnest day of my life!" (Oh...how nice it is that the simple things are still wonderful at this point!) Oh...and one more point I have to say because those of you that I talk to frequently know this has been a struggle as of late...I was brave and let Sophie wear panties all day to the fair...and she kept them dry! So, all in all it was a good day...no, I take that back...it was a FANTASTIC day!
No comments:
Post a Comment