Saturday, August 30, 2008

Reminiscing


Over the past couple days I have found myself listening to the girls' conversations and wondering...where do they learn this stuff???? It takes me back 25 years or so to when my sister and I would play.

The girls were coloring at the table Friday afternoon, and Sophie dropped a marker cap on the floor. I asked her to please get it before lightning fast Sawyer would zip over and get it and cram it into his mouth. She promptly looked at Lainey and said, "Please, Nainey you get the marker cap off the floor? I'll be your best friend." Whoa...I seriously paused and smiled...take me back in time. I know the girls haven't heard me say that. Is that just something that sisters (or siblings for that matter) are born with? That could just as well have been Kim and me.

That same afternoon after they were done coloring, I asked the girls to please clear off the table and put their stuff away. As usual, Sophie was trying to get out of doing her share. Lainey told Sophie to put the coloring book away and when Sophie said no, Lainey asked why. Sophie looked at her and matter-of-factly said, "because I am precious." Are you kidding me? Where does this child come up with this stuff? :-)

I watch the girls play (and fight) and see myself and my siblings so many times. The way they pretend, the things they say and do, and their competitiveness....especially their competitiveness. They race up the stairs....they see who can get into the bathtub first....they see who can finish their carrots the fastest....they see who can jump higher....who has had more turns driving the monster truck (future blog)....who has more teddy grahams.

I also see the girls help each other...both of them...Lainey helping Sophie (obviously) and Sophie helping Lainey. I see them love each other when one is sad. I see them cheer each other on when the other accomplishes something exciting...Sophie going potty or Lainey practicing her soccer. I see them give encouragement when one is anxious about something...Lainey's first day of summer College for Kid's Preschool or Sophie going to a doctor appointment.

My sister and I are almost 4 years apart, and she's definitely one of my best friends; Lainey and Sophie are 18 months. I watch them now playing and fighting and am so glad for the relationship they have and the relationship they will have throughout their lives. It's so fun to see them grow together and watch a little of me as a child, now that I'm an adult. Many smiles are yet to come, I'm sure. :-)

No comments: