Sunday we took the kids to the 2008 Offutt Air Show. It took some out-of-towners (my parents) to tell us it was even happening. They were coming up Saturday to see my uncle who had double by-pass last week (and is doing great!) and thought they might come to the air show on Sunday. Offutt didn't list a schedule for various reasons, so we really didn't know what time to go. We packed everything up and headed down early afternoon. We had no idea we would wait in a very long line just to get to the parking lot on Offutt. Then, we walked a good couple miles until we plopped our chairs down to watch the show amongst MANY people. It had been going quite awhile before we were settled.
We wondered how much the girls would get into it when my mom was pointing out a low-flying acrobatic plane to Sophie as we were walking, and she said, "I know. I already saw that one." Never mind that it was flying straight up in the air and doing and loop before coming back down.
Another highlight for us was watching the Fagen Ethanol powered stunt plane. Matt's cousin's husband and his family actually own this plane and the Fagen company, so it was a treat to watch the acrobatics...and they were unreal!
Nevertheless, the show was amazing. Of course, the finale was the Thunderbirds. Need I say more? Too bad my batteries died...and I hadn't recharged the rechargeables I carry in the case to take some pictures of them and one of the kids with Grandma and Grandpa. Augh!
Overall the show, what we saw of it, was INCREDIBLE! I'm not sure next year if we'll make it onto the base or watch from our chairs on the shoulder of the highway...but we'll be back.
No comments:
Post a Comment