Saturday, October 4, 2008

Fall = Vala's Pumpkin Patch!

I love fall! (I hate my allergies, but several things trump that.) I love the smells. I love the colors. I love that there isn't so much humidity and heat, but we can still be outside playing a lot. In fact, it's probably more enjoyable being outside than it is in the summertime now. And...I love that Vala's Pumpkin Patch is open! (The sign at the top of this chair reads "Vala's Pumpkin Patch Rocks!")This ginormous piece of land is open 5 weeks out of the year...that's it. These people make their living (and a pretty good one, I'm guessing) having this huge operation open 5 weeks out of every year. It's not JUST a pumpkin patch though; it's much more. First and foremost, it's a retreat from our everyday routine...and that right there is worth the cost of a family pass. In fact, we were there 3 times this week alone. It's a place for the kids to be outside and run and run and run and do different things. So, I will include lots of pictures in this blog from our three trips, so you can get a small glimpse of what we do while at Vala's. The first trip was with Lainey's pre-school class on Monday. Tuesday we went with my cousin, Sheila, and her kids Alison and Connor. My cousin, Melissa, her husband, Joe, and their kids, Cohen and Savannah, joined us later in the day. Today (Friday) it was just too beautiful not to head out there. So, we picked Lainey up from pre-school, got Lunchables and went out for 3 hours. The kids have a blast and we manage to make it out of the park without spending a dime. There are plenty of things to do without spending any money (and several things to purchase once inside as well...pony rides, food, pumpkins, etc.) But, the kids know that we're there to have fun not buy things...and they are just fine with that! (On rare occasions, we do have to splurge on a small bag of kettle corn...a treat for the kids, you know.) :-) Anyway...here you are...hope you're enjoying this beautiful fall weather as well while it lasts.


Monday - Wee Lambs Field Trip


The kids took a train ride around all of Vala's. This you do have to pay for (so we usually don't do) but was included in the field trip so was a special treat for Lainey.
Each child got to pick their own apples from the orchard after taking the tour.
Lainey and Sophie enjoyed the huge slide...all 20 times they went down!
They have a tricycle track that kids 6 and under can ride all around. The girls have a blast and can ride and ride and ride...
Sawyer LOVED being out there too...just watching all that was happening!
Some of Lainey's pre-school buddies (and Sophie too).
Tuesday - Sheila, Alison & Connor Rempe - Joe, Melissa, Cohen & Savannah Dirks
Lainey, Alison, & Sophie on the hayrack ride out to the pumpkin fields. Cohen and Savannah were on the hayrack too. Cohen goes because he LOVES the tractor ride. The kids didn't actually pick any pumpkins while in the patch. But, we did search for them and let them pick all ladybugs they wanted...and there were lots. They had a blast!
Lainey, Melissa and Savannah on the kiddie "train."

Sawyer was fascinated by the goats, sheep, camels and other animals they had there. He was SO excited every time he saw one.
The girls jumped and jumped on the big pumpkin bounce. We went at the perfect time on the perfect day too. There were hardly any other kids there.

Lainey wanted me to take their picture at every wood cut-out there was. :-) There are lots and lots to choose from. :-)

Friday - Just Us




This is Zander, a mechanical dragon, who likes to eat pumpkins. They have a few different types of shows throughout the day. The girls REALLY wanted to see Zander today as we missed him the other two times this week. Lainey was very proud of herself that she wasn't afraid at all this year. Sophie was a little apprehensive of the friendly dragon still.
Lainey LOVES the bikes!
One of the girls' favorite attractions is the pig races. They race baby pigs around 5 at a time, each with a colored bandanna around its neck. They have little jokes throughout the show as well. We watch this if we catch it in time each time we're there.
Poor Sawyer had just about had enough today. One bad thing about Vala's is the lack of nap schedule that we keep. It's not too bad...except for Sawyer. Of course, he couldn't dare fall asleep in his stroller. None of my kids could ever do that. They're too afraid to miss what's going on, I guess. (I think they get that from me.)
This was several failed attempts at getting a picture of the kids in the pumpkins. Any idea why they would put goats right next to a photo op area??? (I thought about turning the camera on me to show what a sweaty mess I was after this little ordeal but thought better of it!)
Love the fall colors!

I just couldn't resist this one!

1 comment:

Trish said...

Hi Wendy!

For some reason my email isn't sending out the last few days...so I'm trying out your blog comments!

I had to check with Patty about our Christmas gift theme...since I had already left last year when they decided.

It's "something relaxing and/or fun"...with a $10 limit. Like a good book, a CD, a game and etc.

WONDERFUL WEBSITE! I LOVED IT!!!
The kids are growing up sooo fast!!!
Such dolls!!! :D Trish