Thursday, November 10, 2011

Day 3 - The Happy Day Project

.

Day 3 of The Happy Day Project...Giftcard to Homeless.  This definitely took me outside my comfort zone.  I will donate food to the food drive anytime.  I will sort through closets and drawers, and the kids and I thoroughly overhaul the toyroom every year.  I will gladly help out with any cause.  I thought about donating to the cause listed on the blogs, but that wouldn't have taught the kids anything new...and I know part of the purpose of this project is to push myself to get a little uncomfortable.  SO...driving downtown to the heart of homelessness here in Omaha with the giftcard...it was a different experience for us.

We talked a lot about this day.  The kids drew pictures and wrote notes and poems to give with our Walmart giftcard.  We went through the coats and took a large bag with us.  I just wasn't sure how this task would play out as we headed downtown.  I prayed just the right opportunity would present itself this evening.

We decided to drop off the coats first at the Open Door Mission.  I asked the gentlemen working if they could suggest where I take the notes and giftcard.  Both of them recommended I leave it with them, and they would make sure someone who really needed it received it.  So, that's what we did.  As we left, both the kids and I talked about how that individual or family would feel receiving the surprise gift...and what the coats (that we take for granted) would mean to the kids and women receiving them.  It was a wonderful conversation.

Tonight I am particularly thankful for the women who started this Happy Day Project.  Spreading happiness...just might get contagious around here!  :)


1 comment:

Wendi said...

Love it!!! I love reading your posts about this week and seeing how u have involved the kids.